12.10.11

No Words Can Describe

Today I went to a baby's funeral
yesterday I went to his viewing
and Friday I held him just hours after he entered this world, lifeless


I held my friend as she cried
prayed for her and her husband
she tears over the pain, the deep brokenness
...and the life I loved that was lost so soon


it doesn't make sense
it's not fair
how could this happen?
why them? why now?


the service was beautiful
from start to finish tears were shed
we killed countless trees with our kleenex usage
and we left with  no more answers than we came with
but we left with hope
with a new perspective

the pastor spoke from Psalms
little Brantley was knit together in my dear friends womb
and though we never saw him with life in him
He was not hidden from God
He was fully known
and fully loved

this precious child, whose eyes never opened on this earth
opened them for the first time to see Jesus
this dear baby who never opened his mouth to speak-
his first words proclaimed the greatness of our God
The first sounds he heard outside of the womb
were the noises of heaven
and he smiled and laughed and basked in the glory of our Savior

The pastor who opened spoke of the impact that Brantley made
he said that those who held him were forever changed
I am so honored to be one of those
I cherish the moments spent with his mother, my hands on her belly
those are my memories of Brantley
and they are absolutely priceless

We may never understand
but HE DOES
we may be shocked and confused
but HE IS NOT
and it will probably always hurt

but we have a HOPE
that He knows the number of our days
and we will be reunited again

and until that time
we lift each other up
and cling to the only One who can truly comfort



Life: Unmasked 
Welcome to life: unmasked, a blog link-up for bloggers willing to get real, take off our masks, and show how we are finding God (or how God is finding us) in the mess of everyday life.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for the pain you have experienced and for the precious life lost by your friend... these words you have written are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete